Thursday, March 8, 2012

1 month down....

It's been a month since I started this crazy blog experiment.  I'd have to say so far so good.  I don't seem to get many comments but apparently you are following my crazy antics.  I've had over a 1100 page views.  I had no idea what to expect when I started this but it's amazing to me that 1 person can reach so many.  I'm pretty impressed.
If you had told me 3 years ago that we could live on what we now live on I would have told you that you were crazy.  There is no way we can live on that!   Some days I look at it positively and others not so much.
One way I do this is by clipping coupons.  Yes it does take time.  Time to learn and time to clip and sort.  I use a binder to keep my coupons organized.  If you don't want to do this then you can organize them by day and source.  For instance  3-4 smart source.   Just write the date on the front of the coupon insert.  You can file them in hanging files or stack them in a box.  Whatever works for you.   All the blogs and match ups usually tell you where to find the coupon.  Then you just need to find and clip only what you want.
I clip and sort.   The reasoning is simple for me.  If I don't do it this way I usually miss deals.  I don't know what I have if I don't clip.  I may be in the store and find an unadvertised deal.  I can just flip through my binder to see if I also have a coupon.
For the most part I do not take my binder in the store.   I only take it in if I don't know exactly what I'm buying.   Normally I have a specific list with all my coupons clipped to the list.
Find what works for you.   I know I used to be embarrassed to take my binder in the store.  I bought a binder with a strap that helps. BUT you may miss deals by not bringing in your binder.  I keep mine in the car at all times so if I find a deal I can go get what I need.
You can always find your coupons in a binder.  You can sort them anyway you want.  Mine is by section of the store.  Freezer, cooler, cereals..etc...   I started with a tiny 1/2 inch binder and baseball card holders.   I had the binder and dividers from the boy's old school stuff.  It doesn't have to be pretty.  You just need to be able to find your coupons.
I took a little time tonight to clip and sort last Sunday's coupons.  I usually clean the binder out every month to remove expired coupons.  
I love checking out in front of older ladies.  They are usually impressed to see my pre and post totals.  Makes me laugh when I don't have a good transaction and the lady behind me thinks I did so well.  Hehehe. If I don't save 50% it's not a good day. We used to spend approximately $800 a month on groceries and household items.  I would estimate that we are under $300 now and this includes a stockpile that we never had before.
What would you do with the money you saved if you cut your grocery budget in half?   Pay down debt?  Go on vacation?  Save it?

No comments:

Post a Comment