Saturday, May 5, 2012

Homemade Suet

 I have been feeding birds suet for years since my husband is not fond of letting me feed them seed.   You know that seed would fall in our green lush carpet of grass and sprout weeds.  We can not allow that to happen yet I want to feed the birds.
I've been buying the premade suet cakes.  The price, like everything these days, keeps going up.   Prices range from $1 to $2 each.  Doesn't sound like alot until you realize that birds do not eat "like birds!"  I can go through 2 a day.  That would be on a really busy bird day.  That is not typical everyday.
I've found that the birds prefer the peanut butter suet cakes.

My dear friend Gail gave me her recipe for suet that she has been making for many years.  She said it attracts
a wide assortment of birds.  It is quick and easy.

Here's what you need:

1 can shortening  (cheapest you can find)
1 jar of crunchy peanut butter
corn meal
oats
bird seed (optional)

In a large pot melt half of the can of shortening with a full jar of peanut butter.
After you have melted the mixture, turn off the stove.
Mix in bird seed.  I got loose bird seed for $.39 a pound at Charlies.
Add in cornmeal and oats until you get a stiff mixture.
I lined 2 baking pans with waxed paper.  Pour mixture into pans.  Put in the fridge to harden.   Cut into squares to make suet cakes.  I store my suet in the fridge to make them easy to handle and not as messy when filling my holders.
It's been in the 90's the last couple days and my suet hasn't melted.  The birds love it!



No comments:

Post a Comment