Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Iced Coffee Recipe: Low sugar, Low carb

I have had so many people ask me for this recipe.  So here's the story.

I had a love affair with Starbuck's Frappucinos and back in my spend thrift days I'd have no problem dropping $5 for one.  I also like most Americans am overweight.  (ouch.. that hurts to type!)
I discovered The Belly Fat Cure by Jorge Cruise.  This book totally clicked for me.  It explains how our bodies process sugar and carbs.  (My two favorite things!).  My Starbuck's Mocha Frappuccino has 79 grams of sugar in a venti along with 83g of carbs.  According to Jorge you should "try" to stay at 14g of sugar a day and 120g of carbs.   My one drink was 5.64 days worth of sugar and most of my carbs for the day.  One drink!!
He has a recipe for a protein shake in the book that I adapted.

Chocolate Whey Protein
Pure Stevia or a Stevia packet
Coffee
Half and Half
Torani sugarfree syrups (according to taste)


 In my blender ball shaker I add approximately 2 cups of coffee.  I use whatever my husband left me in the morning.
1 scoop of whey protein
1 scoop stevia or a packet
approximately 2 tablespoons of half and half.  I don't measure so much.
Then a shot or two of whatever flavored syrups you like.  Cheapest I've found the syrups is at Sams or World Market.  Jorge's recipe doesn't call for the syrups but I've discovered my drinks are much better with them. I usually use 1 or 2 squirts of chocolate and caramel.
Shake well.   Pour over ice.

You can also use vanilla whey protein.
You can also put all ingredients in a blender with ice for a frappuccino.
The best part is this drink comes in at 2g of sugar and 2g of carbs!   What a difference!  The protein will help fill you up so you can use this as a meal replacement drink instead of just a drink.
I've lost 15 lbs loosely following his plan.  So many are simple swaps.

But don't think this tastes like a DIET!  It's amazing!  I've had many people tell me it's just as good as Starbucks if not better.  Enjoy!!




No comments:

Post a Comment