Monday, October 22, 2012

Homemade Fabric Softener

I got this great recipe from my good friend Tricia over at The Money Badger.  I don't think she has posted this great recipe so I am on it!  I've been making my own laundry soap for a while now and was wondering about fabric softener.  I am a self proclaimed Downy-aholic.   I had a stock pile so I didn't try this recipe out until recently.  It is really simple.
What you'll need:  

2 cups hair conditioner
3 cups vinegar
6 cups hot water
I used Suave conditioner that I got free at Walgreens.  My dear Tricia informed me that the conditioner in hair conditioner is the same in clothes fabric softener.  
Vinegar I also bought with coupons.  Vinegar is a natural softener.  
Mix your hot water and conditioner until the conditioner is diluted.  Use some of your hot water to rinse out your bottle.  Then stir in vinegar.
That's it! 

I used an old Downy container to store my fabric softener.  

My clothes come out nice and fresh.  The scent is rather light.   You can add a fragrance if you like.  I would use a fragrance free conditioner and then add a couple drops of your favorite fragrance oils.   Tricia uses the clean cotton fragrance.  I have not invested in a fragrance oil yet but I will. 
Total cost:  about $.30 that I paid for the vinegar. 

I found that you should shake it up before each use.  

No comments:

Post a Comment