Tuesday, July 31, 2012

DIY Bug Spray




Alright ladies.  Do you hate getting treated like a buffet by mosquitoes?  Do you hate the smell of bug sprays?  This is for you if you answered yes to either question.
I am a mosquito magnet.  I have no idea why but they love me.  Needless to say when I want to hang out on the deck I have to douse myself in bug spray.  I hate the smell of bug spray.  Even the more expensive non offensive smells.  This then leads me to needing a shower before bed even if I've already showered.  I don't want the bug spray in my bed.
I've tried a couple other methods including rubbing dryer sheets on your skin.  I had mixed results with that method.  Of course, it did smell better.  I'm always open to new options.  Which leads to this discovery....

Earlier this summer we were at a friends house when a friend of a friend passed around her "bug spray".  I doused myself as per usual.  Then I asked her what it was.
She replied, Listerine.
What?  Listerine?  As in mouthwash?
She said yes.  She's been using it for years with her son who is 3 or 4 years old.  She said he's never had a bite.  I didn't get bit that night either.

I hit up Target for my supplies.
Target's Listerine  $2.99
used $.75 coupon from Target.com
Spray bottle $1.22

Pour the Listerine straight into your spray bottle.  For about $3.50 I have at least 5 bottles of bug spray.  I will keep you updated with the effectiveness of the spray.  Let me know if this works for you.  I figure it's a win win either way.  It worked for me once and if it doesn't I have mouthwash.
Here's to evenings outside without the smelly bug spray!  Cheers!

Thanks to Jen T for the great idea.

UPDATE:  I used this again the other night and it kept the bugs away but it was sticky so I watered it down by about 50%.

No comments:

Post a Comment