Thursday, June 28, 2012

Homemade Pizza Pockets

Homemade Pizza Pockets

I've been trying to do more freezer cooking since I no longer buy the prepackaged frozen foods.  
Here's another good recipe to help you fill your freezer.  
Start with making pizza dough.


5 cups all-purpose flour, or as needed

2 envelope Fleischmann's® RapidRise Yeast* or 2 Tablespoons 
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 cup very warm water (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F)
4 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil

Mix your yeast with the warm water.  Let the yeast work for a couple minutes then add your flour and salt.  Lastly I add in my olive oil. 

While I let the dough rise I browned a pound of sausage.   You could also substitute hamburger or ground turkey. I added approximately a cup of pizza sauce.  If you want to add vegetables this would be a good time to mix them in.  
Turn your pizza dough out onto a lightly floured counter.  I added some cornmeal for texture and flavor.
Then I just started rolling out little pieces of dough.  
To the dough I added cheese.  I used shredded mozzarella.
Pepperoni
and my sausage mixture.   

Fold the circle over and crimp the ends with your fingers. 
Bake for about 15 minutes at 400 degrees.  
Let them cool on a rack.
I put some in the fridge for that night and the rest got wrapped in individual paper towels and put in ziploc bags for the freezer.  
I kept my left over pizza sauce for dipping.  

The only thing I think I will do differently next time is use a block of mozzarella instead of shredded.  It may stay together better.  I got about 24 out of this recipe.  
Either way, this recipe is a keeper.  You can do many different variations.  Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment